Fact: Everyone lives in a flood zone. In the past five years alone, every state in America has experienced floods and/or flash floods. With just a few inches of floodwater in your home, your day will be ruined. It wreaks havoc on your property that can cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to repair or replace.
But fret not, here are some tips to help you choose the best flood coverage for your needs.
1. Unfortunately, most homeowners insurance policies do not cover flood damage. If this is the case for you, ask your independent insurance agent how much it will cost you for an upgrade.
2. It is necessary to have homeowners insurance that covers contents too. Floods can easily damage your belongings, and it is always better if they are insured. Damaged floors alone will cost thousands in replacement.
3. Read your policy so you know what happens when you make a claim. Not all insurance policies will replace damaged contents. Most will key in the age factor and condition of your damaged goods when appraising a replacement value. Knowing the details of your policy helps you prepare and make changes to your coverage.
4. If you don’t have flood insurance, act fast. Most policies go into effect 30 days after purchase. If you don’t know, winter storms, hurricanes and snowmelts are (often overlooked) common causes of flooding.
5. If your home has been damaged by a flood, it may be hard for you to get affordable home insurance the next time around because many insurers may consider your property to be in a high risk location. If this is the case, your independent agent can help you find the right coverage.
Last few facts:
• With just two feet of flood water, a car can easily be carried away and slammed against a nearby property.
• Flood insurance claims averaged at a whopping $4 billion per year from 2004 to 2012.
Remember, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Get flood coverage today.
Protect your home from the unexpected. Call Pan American Insurance at (915) 562-0009 for more information on El Paso flood insurance.