Keep Your Home Safe from Mold
Mold is a small organism that can cause big problems. From hay fever-like allergic symptoms to chronic illness, mold can be damaging to your family and home. Mold can grow both inside and outside, so long as humidity or moisture is present. Check for mold in basements, bathrooms, kitchens and any areas recently affected by leaks or water damage.
If caught early, mold can often be removed with a thorough cleaning using bleach. If you catch a whiff of a musty smell or notice a watermark on the ceiling, it’s time to go a mold hunt. Once found and cleaned, you must remove the source of moisture and dry the area to prevent regrowth.
Use the following tips to keep your home mold-free:
- Reduce humidity: Use air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers, turn on exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom when cooking and showering and avoid installing carpet in damp areas like bathrooms and basements.
- Prevent lingering moisture: Wipe up spills, inspect appliances for leaks, wipe the inside of your washing machine after use, keep gutters clean for efficient water flow and maintain your roof to prevent leaks.
- Take precaution after a flood: Dry or remove soaked carpet and furniture within two days of a flood, discard materials that cannot be properly dried, remove standing water and disinfect all areas that were affected by water damage, including heat/AC systems.
Ask your insurance agent if your homeowners policy covers mold damage. Most do not, but a mold (or even a flood) policy can be purchased for extra coverage. However, taking precaution significantly reduces the risk of mold growing in your home.